Saturday, September 4, 2010

21 day Vegan Kickstart

Today is the first time Ive ever blogged.  Ive enjoyed reading other people's blogs but never took the big dive myself.  I'm giving a shout out to the dude at http://myveganquest.blogspot.com/ for inspiring me to actually blog.  While Ive only read his blog a few times it helped me to realize that I needed to change the way I'm eating to change the way I'm feeling.  I also figured out that it's a lot easier to go Vegan in the Big Apple or on the West Coast than in the Midwest.   At least for people who enjoy restaurant eating as much as I do.  I have a Vegan online buddy in California and he is a true champion for the plant based diet.  He has shared his enthusiasm with many including me and here's hoping that it finally sticks!  Here in the Midwest, at least in MY neck of the Midwest, there are not any Vegan restaurants.  We love a good steak and good ribs around here.  We eat our Skyline chili with meat.  You can have it with Beans but forget leaving out the meat.

Ive begun blogging today because I'm taking the Vegan challenge from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine here: http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=21day_vegan_kickstart   I thought I would post and blog about the experience in the hopes that others who do not have ready access to delicious Vegan restaurant fare may join me and we can begin to get healthier together.  I do love restaurants and I love great food.  I am a pretty good cook and I hope that I can make the effort to make delicious appetizing Vegan meals for the next 21 days.  I am going to use the resources of PCRM and some great Vegan cookbooks I've purchased to try to approximate some of the yummy NYC and West Coast restaurant fare Ive been reading about.

Lastly, I've been trying to eat healthier for the last five years.  I believe that I always felt a little demoralized because no matter what email or blog I was reading the people had ALREADY acheived great results in the form of weight loss.  This is a chance for me to share the struggle from the "ground up" so to speak.  So, if you are reading this and you have some good information to share with me or with others please post and please link.  Forgive me if I do not link properly.  Im a newbie for sure.

Thanks for reading and here's to a journey towards health and wellness:  My Midwest Vegan Quest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! And it is (can be) an exciting, fun journey into Veganland! This is your California Dude that has been posting "Healthy Lifestyle" "Gleans" for the last 8 years.

Much of my material is at my "legacy" website
http://homepage.mac.com/maule5662h

My newest site is given, too.

I'll forward your brief email to others to join you for the PCRM 21 day journey with solely vegan fare!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill! Thanks for the comment and here are your new sites I believe you meant to post:

http://web.me.com/maule5662h/Bill_Kleinbauer/Start.html

This is good, too:
http://vimeo.com/user1077474/videos/sort%3Adate

Goodness knows you have "talked" to me and others about this plant based eating for many moons. Its nice to have you as my first visitor to this blog!

Unknown said...

Hi There!

I'm a friend of Bill's (although we've never met) - but we share a passion for spreading the vegan word!

I live in Toronto, Canada where it's as easy to be vegan as it is on the west coast or NYC.

My website is: www.evolvingappetites.com

I highly recommend you check out:

www.fatfreevegan.com for some superb recipes - that blog is written by a vegan in Mississipi!

Congratulations on taking care of your health and contributing to a better world - helping the environment and the animals.

Blessings on your journey!
Nimisha